If you received this newsletter it means that
you purchased something from us, signed up through our website
or checked the newsletter box when you filled out our contact
form. If you prefer not to receive
this communication please unsubscribe here.
Co-Owner, Organic and Healthy, Inc.
When sleeping are you hot, while your partner is cold? Or vice-versa?
We recently found this great item at one of our suppliers. Now you can both be comfortable when sleeping...we think that's a HOT idea!
If your sleeping partner kicks off the covers while you reach for more, here's a great solution...a dual-weight comforter tailored to each person's warmth requirements. (each side is a different weight)
Combo #1: light/heavy
- One person is 'always hot' and the other is 'always cold'
Combo #2: light/medium - One person is 'always hot' and the other is 'just fine'
Combo #3: medium/heavy - One person is 'just fine' and the other is 'always cold'
Hand-made by our friends at Holy Lamb Organics in Oakville, WA, with premium eco-wool batting (grown in the Pacific Northwest) and covered in organic cotton sateen. Machine washable following special instructions. MORE INFO / ORDER
News & Deals
Last June we moved from Southern California to Ashland, Oregon. At that time John, my husband, joined Organic and Healthy full time. While we totally love Oregon, we sure wish we could vote for GMO labeling in California's November election! If you are a CA resident please VOTE YES ON 37!
Also new...we finally have a Facebook page and are starting to post product news and sales on facebook and Twitter! If you "like" our facebook page during August or September we will reward you with 10% off any item in our online store. ($100 maximum discount; cannot be applied to prior purchases or combined with other offers) To redeem this offer just "like us" on facebook then call 541-708-0614 to place your order.
of the Month: Tapped
The high cost of bottled water—to both the environment and our health—is the subject of this documentary that enlists activists, environmentalists, community leaders and citizens to expose the dark side of the bottled water industry.
Americans may rethink their obsession with bottled water when they learn of the unregulated industry's willingness to ignore environmental and health concerns and the problems that arise as a result. Problems including the large-scale loss of groundwater in small towns in America as mega-corporations, including Nestlé, Coca-Cola and Pepsi, virtually steal their water to sell it for obscene profits. If you drink bottled water this is a must-see film!
GMOs Present a VERY Serious Health and Environmental Problem
With GMO labeling on the California ballot in November there's a lot of buzz in the air about the effects of having Genetically Modified Organisms in our food. In case you don't yet know enough about GMOs to scare your pants off, below are some highlights. If the law passes in California it could cause a cascade effect, like it did in Europe, and eventually lead to a dramatic reduction in GMO crops grown and sold in this country. Our children are counting on us to protect their future...please don't let them down.
1) In the US, there are GMO ingredients in as much as 80% of non-organic processed food. (see a current list of GMO risk crops) And many more are right around the corner. On 7/6/12, the USDA announced petitions for non-regulated status for NINE new GMO plants under its so-called "improved" (fast-tracked) regulatory process. One of the new GMOs is Dow's 2,4-D tolerant soybean. 2,4-D is an herbicide component of the chemical weapon Agent Orange used during the war in Vietnam. Nice ... how about some Agent Orange in your tofu?
2) Most GMO plants are modified so they can tolerate heavy doses of herbicides, like Monsanto's Round-Up and others containing glyphosate. The use of toxic herbicides has increased by a factor of 15 since GMOs were introduced in 1995. This means ever-increasing quantities of toxic chemicals are contaminating our land and water supply, not to mention the food we eat.
3) Some GMO plants are genetically modified so pesticides (Bt-toxin) are created BY THE PLANT itself. The only published human GMO feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines, and continues to function. That means many of us now have a virtual pesticide factory inside our bodies!
4) GMOs are causing new strains of super-weeds and super-bugs to evolve. Monsanto's Roundup has spawned over 300 million acres of herbicide-resistant superweeds. This means more and stronger chemicals, like 2,4-D, need to be applied. This creates job security and fat wallets for Monsanto, Syngenta and other biotech executives and shareholders, but what about the rest of us? Oh right...we get more toxic chemical contamination!
5) GMOs contaminate neighboring organic and non-GMO croplands via airborne pollen. Does Monsanto care if these farmers can no longer grow their crops of choice? YES... they care so much that they SUE the farmers for patent infringement! And since Monsanto has high-priced lawyers and farmers don't, the farmers usually end up settling out of court. So now let's see...who's the victim here?
6) 50 countries, including the entire EU, have banned or restricted GMOs, while the USA doesn't even require labeling. In Europe, at least 174 regions and more than 4,500 local councils and governments have declared themselves GM-free. The World Trade Organization (to which the US and other 150 countries belong) prohibits countries from banning GM products. If this weren't the case, no doubt many more countries would already have done so.
7) The American Academy of Environmental Medicine reported that “several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM has asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
8) Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs in food without labeling, their own scientists repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. The scientists urged long-term safety studies, but they were ignored. Since then, findings include:
• Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants.
• Mice fed GM corn had fewer and smaller babies.
• More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks.
• Testicle cells of mice and rats fed GM soy changed significantly.
• By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies.
• Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity.
• Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen. In fact, soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK soon after GM soy was introduced.
• The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.
• Other animal studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels and other physical changes.
Source of most facts above: Institute for Responsible Technology
For an evidence-based examination
of the claims made for the
safety and efficacy of
genetically modified crops, read the recently released GMO Myths and Truths.
To understand why we don't hear about the problems with GMOs in the media, see how the media was forced to cover up problems with dairy cows fed rBST.
To learn how micro-RNA from genetically engineered foods may alter organ function in humans, see this recent report by Mike Adams.
Please forward this article to your friends and family in California and ask them to vote YES on prop 37!