There has been an upswing in demand due to the COVID-19 virus, which HEPA can filter since it is approximately .2 microns, and Austin Air units filter to .1 micron at 95% efficiency, and .3 micron at 99.97% efficiency. Also, the HEGA cloth in the Bedroom Machine and Allergy Machine contain carbon, which is antimicrobial.
Due to exceptional demand for Austin Air’s medical grade air purifiers, sales are currently limited to Standard-size units only. We hope to have Junior units sometime in 2024.
Regarding other filtering technologies: UV is not effective in a portable air purifier because five minutes of dwell time on a biological substrate is required to effect what we call a kill ratio. We believe it is better to trap the pathogens than try to denature or destroy them. PCO (photocatalytic oxidation) and ionization create ozone as a byproduct in other devices on the market. We would not recommend these technologies because ozone is a known lung and throat irritant and is not allowed in the State of California where there are strict emission standards to protect human health in indoor environments.
Austin Air purifiers incorporate filtration technology used in hospitals and operating rooms, including true medical-grade HEPA. A large amount of activated carbon is also utilized: 6 or 15 pounds in most Austin Air units, instead of the tiny amount inside less expensive air filters. And unlike electrostatic precipitators and ionic generators, no toxic by-products, such as ozone, are emitted.
• Austin Air has the best warranty in the business: 30-day money-back guarantee, 5-year mechanical warranty, 5-year pro-rated filter warranty.
• 100% of components are made in the USA, from the motor to the non-toxic powder coated paint.
• See diagram to determine the best air filter placement in your home.
• View cost comparison to other high-quality air purifiers.
• Not sure which model is for you? See comparison chart.
• Download letter of medical necessity for possible reimbursement from your Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA).
• Austin Air Purifiers are ideal for removing allergens and particulates in schools.
• Austin Air was chosen by the U.S. Government to fulfill the largest deployment of air cleaners in American history, and by FEMA and The Red Cross to address the serious air quality concerns in post 9/11 New York City.